Monday, August 15, 2011

The Perfect Carry-On

Finding the perfect hiking backpack takes time and patience, but finding the perfect companion packable daypack is equally difficult. I looked for so long in June for a hiking pack, and finally found the L.L. Bean AT55 that I received for my birthday.  Coincidentally, while at the L.L. Bean store in Maine I happened upon a great day pack that was on sale early this summer.  I was at the check-out counter with my mom and there it was, a pretty pink packable backpack sitting behind the counter as someone else's reject.  With a sale price of around $20 I was convinced to get it.


It sat in my room for about a month before I finally used it as my carry-on luggage for my trip to Europe in July.  At first I just thought of it as a nice backpack, but by the end of the trip I was convinced how wonderful this pack really is!  Here are the things pointed out in the picture above that I love so much.
A. One large zippered pouch in the back.
B. One smaller zippered pouch down the front.
C. Two external pull-tie pouches on the sides.

It also has small chest and waist straps for hiking.

It doesn't hold a lot, but all the essentials for an airplane fit perfectly without leaving extra room (because, for me, extra room means I should pack even more -- not good!).  Look below at all the things I took with me on the airplane.

All the contents of my backpack on the airplane: purse, jacket, book, netbook.
It doesn't have an inside hydration bladder pouch for hiking, but you can slip water bottles easily in the outside pockets.  Unfortunately I've realized why it was on sale in June: they were discontinuing the backpack! I've scoured the website trying to find this backpack to recommend to friends, but I can't find it. There are a few that seem similar, so if you want something like this, try the following backpacks:

One of my favorite things about the pack is that it folds up into the small front pocket! I love stowaway bags like that which you can carry inside a bigger backpack and take out to expand.  I actually don't even know the name of the pack I have since my mom took it with her on their trip to the Baltic Sea this month.  But, I suggest any of the L.L. Bean packs, especially since they are guaranteed to last!

All folded up!

1 comment: