Thursday, August 11, 2011

Zucchini vs. Tomatoes

It's been a while since I've mentioned my garden, so I figure it's time for an update.  In the battle between zucchini and tomatoes in my garden this year, there was no competition.  The season started out fairly even and at the end of June we had one delicious zucchini and four plants that seemed to be thriving.

First and only zucchini of the 2011 season.

Before I knew it though, I went out one day to find my zucchini plants rotting from the inside out.  I was so upset since I loved picking my lovely zucchini from my garden in Ethiopia.  I'm not sure what kind of critter got into the system, but whatever it was the zucchini plants didn't have a chance.  The good news is that the rest of my garden seemed to survive the invasion.

All of my zucchini plants looked like this. Any idea what happened?

I left for Europe in July just as the tomatoes were starting to ripen, and they haven't stopped since! Chances are, if you've come to my house in the past few weeks, you haven't been allowed to leave without a bag of tomatoes!  I have more than I could possibly eat by myself, so I'm glad my friends like them too.

My garden, July 2011
I'm also still hopeful for the green onions and I think a few carrots survived too.  The basil is flourishing in the garden, and doing well in the pots on our porch as well.  I've been cooking up a storm with all that I have, so check back to see what I've come up with!

Tomatoes galore!

No comments:

Post a Comment