Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Luxembourg Date Night

I've spent around four month in Luxembourg now, spread throughout July, this past spring, last October, and a couple days from when I was 12.  I don't really remember much about Luxembourg from when I was 12, mostly because I was so excited about getting to Belgium and eating waffles (sadly, that is the truth). But since returning last fall, I've really started to like this small European country.

There is a lot to do and see in Luxembourg, so I've decided to tell some stories and list some "must see" places throughout the next few blog posts. But to start my Luxembourg series, I must start with my most-recent venture into the city. 
Boyfriend and me overlooking the gorge in Luxembourg City
The night before I left Luxembourg last week boyfriend and I had a special date night in Luxembourg City and I was reminded of how much I like the city center.  The city was built in and around a small gorge, carved out by the Alzette river which snakes throughout the city.  The gorge allows for dramatic views and nice walks down to the bottom, called the Grund.  Once at the bottom there is a section that is a park, and another where you'll find quaint townhouses, cafes and a pub district. The best part is, once you are in the Grund and tired of walking around, there is an elevator back to the top!

The Grund in Luxembourg City.
The gorge formed by the Alzette river leaves the city divided into several sections, accessible by several tall bridges above the Grund. For date night boyfriend and I walked around the edge of the gorge and finally decided to stroll along the walkways leading down into the pub and restaurant district below to scout out menus.  We settled on Restaurant Brasserie Bosso, a cozy cafe/restaurant/bar in the Grund which features quite a variety of local Luxembourgish and German dishes. The food was delicious and the outdoor patio offered a wonderful atmosphere.

We started our meal off with a Baked Feta Cheese appetizer with spices and vegetables. In other words, a block of feta baked with olive oil and peppers; rich and incredible.  Boyfriend ate Coconut Schnitzel, which was an Asian spin-off of the famous Schnitzel we all know and love with stir fry vegetables and mee noodles. I ordered Chicken Gratin which was basically a hot pot filled with chicken, potatoes, and a mushroom gravy sauce topped with a layer of cheese. We thought everything was superb, and we will definitely have more date nights at Brasserie Bosso in the future. What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment