Friday, July 8, 2011

My New Backpack

My favorite birthday gift (besides those beautiful flowers below) wasn't actually a surprise at all. I searched long and hard for a new backpack to meet all my tough criteria, and knew exactly which one I was getting. I picked it out long enough ago that it inspired the title of my blog, even though I am not planning any real "backpacking" trips in the near future.  I will be jet-setting tomorrow though, off to Luxembourg to visit the boyfriend and see a bit more of Europe. Does it count as "backpacking" if I'm visiting the country with the highest GDP per capita?
Birthday Flowers from Boyfriend :)

Back to the pretty new Pack... I've had the same traveling backpack for almost five years now, so it was about time that I picked out something new. My old one, a North Face W Crestone 60, is a bit bulky with over-sized back pads, thick hip belt, and too many useless straps.

For my new pack, I knew I wanted the new suspension that allows your back to breathe while you wear it, not be smothered with non-breathable super padding. I also wanted an outside pouch that you could slip a jacket or dirty shoes into (which this one has, as you can see in the picture below). The last criteria for my new backpack I had to give up on: a bottom zipper to access the bag from both top and bottom. I realized that you have to get something way bigger that a 55 liter size to have a bottom zipper.

My new backpack, the L.L. Bean AT55, all packed to go!
I finally settled with super light L.L. Bean AT55, which in Women's is actually just 50 liters. It has a shorter frame than my old pack, which means it is small enough to pass as a carry-on luggage, as long as I don't stuff it to the max.  What a great birthday gift! I'm leaving for Europe tonight and I'll update the blog as I travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment