Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Luxembourg: Cafe-Hopping

A while back I mentioned that I was going to be writing more about Luxembourg since I've spent so much time there this year (and since boyfriend lives there).  It's taken me a while to get back into writing lately, but I was motivated by a recent chocolatey spoon indulgence which I brought back from Luxembourg.

Let's start with a short story from this spring, when my parents came to visit Europe. Their visit allowed me to spend a lot more time in the city center of Luxembourg City. We had a whole day of cafe-hopping, and once caffeinated to the brim, we braved the cold weather and walked the city. We found ourselves walking a little bit around the pedestrian area, and then escaping after just 30 minutes into a cafe to warm up again.  It was such a pleasant day; I couldn't imagine a better way to explore Luxembourg in February!

Chocolate House in downtown Luxembourg.

My favorite stop that day wasn't a random cafe at all, but a must-see for every visitor (or local) in Luxembourg.  The "Chocolate House" is just as decadent as it sounds.  Known for their chocolate spoons, this cafe is just across the street from the Grand Duke's palace in the pedestrian area.  They also have delicious rich cakes arranged for you to drool over as you enter on the first floor.  Most of the seating is then up a small spiral staircase, but both floors can get awfully crowded during certain times of the year.

Mom, enjoying her chocolate spoon and choosing more to bring home!

The term "chocolate spoon" may be misleading though, since it's not merely a spoon coated in chocolate, but a chunk of chocolate attached to a wooden spoon.  Genius.  The cafe serves the chocolate spoons with a warm mug of milk, and you dip and swirl (and lick the gooey chocolate) until it's all melted in!

My "Brownie" chocolate spoon I had the other day.
 And, like you can see from the photo of my mom above, it's not just your normal average milk chocolate.  They have classics, of course, but they also have creations such as Bourbon Vanilla, Brownie, Almond Raspberry, and even Hot Chili!  The cafe is apparently dutch-owned; More information here: Chocolate Company.  Is your mouth watering yet?
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment