Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weekend in Germany

This weekend the boyfriend and I went to spend time at his parents' house in a small town just an hour from Luxembourg. After spending most of the spring in Luxembourg, I've come to love these weekends away in Germany, and I love spending time with his family, even if we don't always speak the same language.

Friday, while boyfriend worked from home, I went shopping and adventuring to Trier with his parents. Lots of pantomiming and really bad German, but we had so much fun together!  Since I had been to Trier before we only did a little sight-seeing to the Basilica, which had been closed last time I visited the city, and we took a walk around the palace gardens.
The palace gardens in Trier, Germany.
That night we were able to celebrate a friend's birthday by playing in a poker tournament at his house. I was the only girl, and while I didn't do so well in the first round, I won the next round at the losers' table!  Five Euros in my pocket; Thank you very much.  I love being the only girl sometime and showing those boys not to judge too quickly.  I think I have to thank my brother for sparking that competitive side in me back when I was little.
Poker night.
Saturday we joined some friends for one of our favorite sports: mini-golf! This new course we went to had some fun and exciting holes, like this one:
Shooting the ball into this hanging net!
But overall cement is not the best base for a mini-golf course. You simply tap the ball and it flies down to the other side of the "green" and the littlest sand or dirt can totally mess up your shot. Past mini-golf courses in Germany have been far better. 

Cement courses, really? Not the best mini-golf surface.
More fun to come in Europe. Tomorrow we'll head back to Luxembourg and I have high hopes to see the new Harry Potter movie later this week. I love the local movie theater in Esch that plays movies in German, French and English!

No comments:

Post a Comment