Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Comparing Summers

Having been born and raised in Atlanta, I think of summer as a sweltering time of year, air-conditioning not optional. This thinking has only been reinforced by living in Ethiopia for two years where, even though potentially high temperatures are offset by the high elevation, heat is still unavoidable.  I often forget that in other parts of the world summer is the more pleasant time of the year. 

My mom and I (plus dogs)  all bundled up in Maine in June.

At the end of May, just as beautiful spring weather settled in Atlanta, my family and I took off to spend three weeks in Maine, where the late Winter happily awaited us.  But, with the lilacs in bloom, I had nothing to complain about.  I appreciated our escape to Maine more than ever once we came back to Atlanta and experienced the brutality of the Georgia heat: Highs in the 90s for the next several weeks (which was nice for our July 4th fun!).

Panting dogs = HOT July in Georgia!

Now you understand why, as I was preparing to leave for Luxembourg last week, jeans weren't even on my packing list.  One light jacket for the plane, just in case, and the rest just light summer outfits.  Luckily I had a last-minute impulse to wear jeans on the airplane. I think I will survive this mild summer weather in Luxembourg just fine, but it is good to remember that when you cross the Atlantic, you don't ever go back as far south!
Comparing latitude of Atlanta, Luxembourg and Ethiopia.
Today it's overcast and 60 degrees here in Luxembourg. Good to remember that it is further north here than all of the lower 48 states! I put stars on the map to show Atlanta, Luxembourg and Ethiopia for comparison.  I know there are other things to take into account when looking at weather (gulf stream, etc.), but don't forget to pack some warm layers for traveling to northern Europe in the summer.
Overcast Luxembourg.

No comments:

Post a Comment