Thursday, July 21, 2011

Next Destination: Bruges

Neither Here nor There: Travels in EuropeIn the spring, while hopping around Europe for several months, I finally took the time to read a book that had been on my bookshelf for over a year. Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors mainly because he writes about my favorite thing, traveling; He also knows how to paint a picture using words, and his use of sarcasm to makes you laugh out loud. His European adventures, neither here nor there, first published back in 1993, was a great book to read while exploring this continent.

One particular place he visited stuck out in my mind, and I couldn't stop thinking about the enchanting city of Bruges he described. Nestled less than 15 km from the North Sea in Belgium, and just over 3 hours from where the boyfriend lives in Luxembourg, I decided that this town should be on my to-do list.

The spring passed though and we never planned our visit to Bruges. Now that I'm back in Luxembourg for July, the boyfriend made sure to leave a weekend free so we could make the trip we've been talking about for months.
Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson

I went back to the boyfriend's bookshelf and flipped through neither here nor there to re-read the chapter on Belgium before we leave for the weekend. And, to my surprise, Bryson only talked about his stay in Bruges for one page! I can't believe I was so enthralled with his brief description, I was sure I'd read a whole chapter about Bruges. After re-reading that page though, I realized that was all he needed to say. It's a simple and elegant description and it makes my heart beat with happiness to know that I get to visit this quaint city in just two days! If you have the book, take a look (Reading Rainbow style) at pages 60-61 in chapter 6, titled,"Belgium."

Early Saturday morning we will start our weekend in Belgium, hoping to camp Saturday night on the beach somewhere.  I usually am attached to my Lonely Planet guide at all times, but this trip we're going guide-free. Good idea? I'm not so sure, but I'll be sure to report!

No comments:

Post a Comment