Thursday, June 30, 2011

So So Smart (Phone)

You could leave the country for a month and come back astonished by the latest tech gadget out there, but two years later, you are just overwhelmed. The biggest change while I was away is the smart phone. Before I left, the iPhone had been released, Blackberrys were common amongst business folks, but smart phones as we know them today were non-existent.  The word "app" was new to me, and I've still never been on Twitter. I have a lot to learn.

My family has a Sprint family plan and we have been anxiously awaiting the HTC EVO 3D release before using our very very overdue upgrades.  Last week they finally became available and on Monday our four shiny new smart phones arrived! In true Dad fashion, he had all four plugged in to charge before we even knew they had arrived (he's a sneaky one!).  As you can probably imagine, since Monday we've hardly let the things out of our hands.  We're adjusting slowly, but loving the ease and accessibility.

New  phone vs. old phone...

I've always been fairly old school about cell phones, and feel they have no place at a dinner table, but knowing I can check the internet from anywhere is a convenience I can definitely appreciate.  When I first moved to my small town in Ethiopia in February 2009 I remember being shocked that there wasn't even any dial-up internet in town (sob story here), so now having high-speed internet at my fingertips any time I need it is strange and wonderful.

My favorite apps so far?
  • Skype (obviously, since boyfriend is in Europe)
  • Pulse (little bit of an information overload, but also just really nice)
  • Google Sky (how cool is that?!)
   Suggestions? What am I missing?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a good person to ask about apps, the ones I use the most often are weather and email.

    xoxo me

    ReplyDelete