Monday, June 27, 2011

My First Groupon

This modern obsession with couponing deals is something I know I’m late to join.  But these days it’s pretty common that I fall into the category of having been “under a rock” when talking about trends and happenings since I’ve been living in Ethiopia for two years.  In the spring I was finally introduced to the wonderful world of Groupon and Living Social.  About a month after the discovery I made my first purchase, a Groupon for Queen of Sheba Ethiopian restaurant in Atlanta.  The restaurant was recommended to me before I even knew what Ethiopian food was, so I knew it must be good, but until last night I still hadn’t been.

I admit to falling into the trap of Groupons (as I assume many others have figured out before me), thinking at the time of purchase that I’ll use it right away, but letting those six months lapse and almost letting it expire!  Just four days before I would forfeit my $10 coupon I made a point to schedule dinner with friends I knew would appreciate the cuisine: fellow Ethiopia Peace Corps volunteers.

On the way to the restaurant it started pouring down rain and didn't let up even as I waited in my car for friends to arrive. I couldn't help but think that it was appropriate summer weather for eating injera (Ethiopian flatbread) since summer in Ethiopia is rainy season.

Ethiopian food in Ethiopia

We all agreed that it was the best and most legitimate Ethiopian food we've tasted in America! Above is a picture of the different stews on injera from Ethiopia, and the food at Queen of Sheba looks very similar. I'm sure I would have eaten at Queen of Sheba eventually, but the Groupon definitely inspired last night's visit. Overall, I'm happy that we had an excuse to get together and eat Ethiopian food, especially at a discount! Now I should go see about that Groupon I bought for a bookstore. I'll be spending that one soon!

2 comments: