Sunday, January 8, 2012

One Year Ago

During the semester I am really bad at posting, and since the semester started again yesterday I can't promise that I won't disappear again for a while. However, being abroad for January will certainly help remind me to post since every day is an adventure!

I meant to write this yesterday since January 7th is Ethiopian Christmas. (Melkam Genna! መልካም ገና!) If you don't know about the ridiculously confusing calendar in Ethiopia, here is a little more about it.  December 7, 2011 (one year ago yesterday) was also the day I left my town in Ethiopia (more about that sad sad day here).  It's hard to believe it's been a year since I left, but at the same time it almost feels like it was so long ago that it was a dream.  Having my Ethiopia pup around certainly helps to reassure myself that it was reality.

I can't deny that this one-year anniversary brought tears to my eyes. I miss all of the wonderful things about life in Ethiopia, and yet I easily forget the hardships in those moments.  I made phone calls to the two Ethiopians I still keep in touch with a year later, my work friend Yibeltal, and my high school student-turned-sister, Aregach.  It is amazing how my Amharic comes back while I'm on the phone just as the memories come flooding back as well.  
The children on my street the day I left (I'm in the background)
I miss it. I wish I could have done more. I want to visit as often as possible. However, I know deep down that I'll never have that again. I'll live abroad again, and I'll have adventures and connect with local people. But I'll never have Dangila back.

My mom appropriately sent me this picture yesterday that she took in Florida.  I think it accurately depicts my state of mind, and state of heart; so far away but so close at heart.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=0c8be1722f&view=att&th=134b9728b3432a07&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1390370897185655922-1&zw

No comments:

Post a Comment