Monday, February 6, 2012

Arriving in Vienna

We arrived at our hotel on Friday by 2PM and took a few minutes to get settled before calling my distant relatives to see if they wanted to meet up soon.  They had been awaiting our call and decided to pick us up at 3PM with their car are take us to see an overview of the city.  We grabbed a quick lunch in the meantime at my favorite European eatery, any bakery I can find! I have a slight obsession with German bakeries and it turns out Austrian bakeries are also delicious.  I will seriously walk down the street sometimes and stare into the windows of street-side bakeries while completely forgetting to look where I am walking.

After eating a pretzel each from the grocery store bakery down the street we waited in the lobby for our ride to arrive.  Traude and Gerhart were wonderful hosts right from the beginning.  The first stop during our afternoon outing was the cemetery where my Omi and Opa are buried.  It certainly brought back a lot of memories to be there and I am grateful we were able to visit.  The next stop was an overlook atop a small mountain where we could see the whole city.  It was COLD and a bit foggy, but the view was still beautiful!
Overlooking Vienna

After a short walk around the area we hopped back in the car and they took us back to our hotel. Boyfriend and I had tickets to the "Die Zauberflöte" or "The Magic Flute" by Mozart that evening at the Volksoper.  I wasn't only fitting to see this opera in Vienna where it was originally performed, but also because this Friday night happened to be Mozart's birthday! We left ourselves just enough time to change clothes and take a tram to the opera house.  After arriving and picking up our tickets from the box office we hurried across the street for dinner at a kebab stand.  We both love these kebab stands that are popular in Europe so it was the perfect quick dinner.


The Volksoper in Vienna
We were lucky we had purchased tickets online a few weeks before because the show was sold out.  We battled the crowds to find our seats at the top of the theater and sat back to enjoy the show.  I admit that I had woken up before 4AM that morning and the German opera at one point lost the battle for my attention, but apart from about five minutes with my eyes closed I really loved the opera.  We both had the best time and felt like we couldn't have spent our first evening in Vienna in any better place.


Needless to say, we slept well that night! And we were eager to see the city the next day... but we had no idea we were in for a FULL tour the next day with my relatives.  We were able to see so much in just one Saturday; I really love having a local to help you see a new city.  I'll write soon about our adventure around the city that next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment